Food Links, 11.03.2015
- Childhood in the Cape winelands.
- Food banks in the UK experience a spike in demand during school holidays.
- ‘dictating what you can buy with food stamps is the kind of thing that only sounds good to people who don’t actually have to survive on a poverty income.’
- Why bees are disappearing.
- The average South African farmer is 62 years old.
- ‘an increase in US food aid increases the incidence and duration of civil conflicts’.
- Palm oil and the destruction of rain forests.
- South Africa’s most sugary cold drink.
- Prison labour and food production.
- ‘The government invites you to be wary of those who do not eat baguettes.’
- The rise of diabetes in south Asia.
- ‘When Bulletproof coffee looks like the answer, the odds are you’re asking the wrong question.’
- Developing food security in post-Katrina New Orleans.
- The secret marijuana farm underneath the maraschino cherry factory.
- Arcade Fire’s Will Butler writes a song inspired by São Paulo’s water crisis.
- Why are South African wines so underrated?
- The nineteen ingredients in McDonald’s chips.
- ‘Now this, I have to say, is the sort of thing the British are very bad at dealing with. There’s nothing in our background, upbringing, or education that teaches you how to deal with someone who in broad daylight has just stolen your biscuits.’
- The chopped salad.
- Orange or orange juice?
- Seventeenth-century recipes for beauty and health.
- Fairy butter.
- Where to eat in the Downtown Arts District in Los Angeles.
- Diana Henry on chicken.
- Beer was legalised in Iceland in 1989.
- Why we find vanilla extract in the baking, not the liquor, aisle.
- Carrot dashi.
- Purple tea in Kenya.
- The Farm Church in Wisconsin.
- Molly Wizenberg on the seven-minute egg.
- Cod feasting in Norway.
- In defense of South African snacks.
- A Korean-Spanish restaurant in Berlin.
- America’s knifemakers.
- ‘The Taco Bell Quesarito is the Devil’s cheddar-stuffed work.’
- Thawing and brining at the same time.
- Twenty-four hours at Katz’s Deli.
- Ram Juen, the queen of jok.
- The Cake Shop at the London Review Bookshop reviews The Vegetarian by Han Kang.
- Holi food in London.
- Baklava in Turkey.
- Where to eat in Portland, Maine.
- How to find good coffee in Paris.
- Shirohige Cream Puff Factory in Tokyo.
- The many uses of club soda. (Thanks, mum!)
- Pistachio recipes.
- Enlightenment philosophers drinking coffee.
- The difference between brie and camembert.
- ‘It is well known amongst snow chemists that fresh Arctic snow goes very well with 15-year-old single malt whisky.’
- The Smiths and becoming vegetarian.
- Lamington pincushions.
- A guide to making doughnuts.
- How to wear an apron like Alexa Chung.
- A week on sex dust.
2 Comments Post a comment
Love the lamington. I rather lust after these too: https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/108315780/australian-biscuits-and-cakes-felt?ref=shop_home_active_11
Oh wow – thanks! Those are amazing.