Kindly readers! I shall be away for a week or so, finishing a manuscript at Pullen Farm in the lowveld. I believe there may be warthogs. I have packed, of course, a copy of C. Louis Leipoldt’s Bushveld Doctor. And a lot of mosquito repellent.
In the meanwhile, I leave you:
This piece I wrote for Africa is a Country about Johannesburg’s newest museum in Fietas.
This photograph of street food in Fordsburg:
This new video from the Lumineers:
And these links:
- How will climate change affect agriculture in southern Africa?
- The US government shutdown poses a risk to food safety.
- Traffic fumes prevent bees from finding flowers.
- Vegetables are being left to rot on South African farms.
- Are GM, organic, community-owned farms the future of agriculture?
- Searching for new, climate change-resistant varieties of lettuce.
- Using food trucks to end food deserts.
- What really goes into chicken nuggets?
- ‘the brain knows that low-calorie or no-calorie sweeteners are imposters.’
- When chocolate was used as currency.
- An interview with Rachel Laudan.
- The theft of 600 pumpkins.
- What 9/11 had to do with the rise of Paula Deen.
- How to make your own soft brown sugar.
- A guide to garlic.
- The hangover face repair guide.
- What does the Underground taste like?
- Death by hazelnut – a conundrum.
- A tasting menu from … McDonald’s.
- Dinner Lab.
- A potato that looks like a sheep.
- Popcorn, the affordable luxury.
- Hundreds of uses for vinegar (all of them non-culinary).
- A review of The Dog’s Bollocks in Cape Town.
- Candy corn.
- How to make a watermelon slice cushion.
- Cooking for Paul Dacre.
- Farming octopi.
- Celebrities matched to vegetables.
- Julia Child’s list of alternative titles for Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
- ‘Within minutes of consuming the alcohol, Swino lost control, starting a fight with a cow and demolishing nearby tents and rubbish bins in his hunt for a midnight snack, recklessly swimming into the middle of a river, before eventually collapsing underneath a log.’
- Beautiful corn.
- Wooden or plastic chopping boards?
- Make your own cultured butter.
- These links are courtesy of my mum:
- A brief history of Worcester sauce.
- ‘Branston Pickle lorry crashes near Cheddar.’
- Food in medieval Sicily.
Be back soon xx