Food Links, 25.09.2013
- Of milk cows and Saudi Arabia.
- Why are 47 million Americans on food stamps?
- Most of the tuna sold in the US is not tuna.
- Has the World Food Programme exaggerated the number of Zimbabweans in need of food aid?
- Urban agriculture in Cape Town.
- The value of processed food.
- Linus Pauling and the vitamin myth.
- Understanding the 1963 march on Washington through food.
- The sugar content of everyday foods.
- Save Smithfield Market.
- Using baking to cope with depression.
- We need to rename heirloom tomatoes.
- The gorilla bean harvest in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- The cover of Lucky Peach‘s gender issue is very, very unfortunate.
- Carrot cakes.
- On Modern Farmer, the magazine designed to ‘appeal to the person who wants to romanticise farming and the person who is knee deep in turkey droppings’.
- Mole soup is not a cough remedy.
- A rediscovery of Native American cooking.
- The UK’s National Vegetable Championships.
- A Han Solo fridge.
- How to eat well on a student budget.
- Coffee packaging.
- Body part-shaped chocolates.
- Every cake featured in the first episode of the Great British Bake Off.
- Readymade cake as a marker of social status.
- DIY sushi.
- Can you die from drinking too much coffee?
- The death of the inventor of After Eights – and what chocolate has to do with class in the UK.
- Beautiful éclairs.
- The man with a brewery in his gut.
- Kew’s Wild Crop Relatives project. (Thanks, Mum!)
- Eating hot dogs at baseball games.
- The future of ice cream.
- How to make croissants – in GIFs.
- The horrors of Whole Foods.
- Parisians seem to be developing a taste for underbaked bread.
- Inventing beer that does not cause hangovers.
- Why honey keeps indefinitely.
- The eggs font.
- Rediscovering the Cherokee Purple tomato.
- The Great Science Bake Off.
- Beer’s cicerones.
- Ruth Reichl turns to fiction.
- Carlisle Castle made out of custard creams.
- All about cashew nuts.
- Avocado beer.
- The origins of the myth that eating carrots will improve eyesight.
- Hemingway’s perfect burger.
- Is there such a thing as food addiction?
- How to be a better food photographer.
- Why food tastes delicious.
- What to do with leftover pickle brine.
- The worst bacon sandwich.
- The story of the coffee sleeve.
- ‘After weeks of careful reflection, I have decided to officially shutter my business Cash4ExpiredColeslaw after three months of not earning any profit and costing me over $250,000.’
7 Comments Post a comment
That link to Saudi, milk and oil is fascinating. Usual brilliant round up.
Thanks so much! I love that article too – so, so interesting.
Great links (as usual!) – I love the custard cream castle. Perhaps not as tasty looking as the TimTam chocolate colosseum!
But, you know, Tim Tams improve just about anything.
That’s true – it’s almost cheating to use them! 😉
Thanks so much for linking to my post on baseball hotdogs. I always enjoy your links!
You’re welcome! It’s *such* a lovely post.