Food Links. 03.10.2013
- Ending hunger with the ANC and the Economic Freedom Fighters.
- Farm workers need healthcare too.
- ‘It has been estimated that Colombian [coffee] plantations would have to be moved up by 167m for every degree of warming.’
- Pret a Manger, Pizza Express, and Strada don’t appear to have paid their taxes recently.
- The disease killing piglets in China and the United States.
- Why a recent paper by Tim Noakes on his high-fat, low carbohydrate diet, amounts to bad science.
- The US food stamp programme is about to have its budget cut.
- Aubergines will not cure colon cancer.
- Butter is not bad for you.
- Which is healthier: coffee or a smoothie?
- Using sewerage as fertiliser.
- How Starbucks went from six cafes in 1984, to 18,000 outlets in 2013.
- Making crockery out of soil dug from San Francisco’s tenderloin.
- What really happened when Stella Liebeck sued McDonald’s for selling too-hot coffee.
- ‘the chilies for Sriracha need to be processed within a day of being picked.’
- In fact, the Sriracha factory may well cease to function.
- Thieves steal baked beans – and other food heists.
- Where Lou Reed liked to eat.
- Why was so much vitriol directed at the most recent series of Great British Bake Off?
- ‘I hate to be the one to break it to you – but Bangkok is not in Malaysia.’
- On buttermilk.
- Why some food is addictive. (Thanks, Emma!)
- Inside-out toffee apples.
- Mint chocolate-flavoured crisps.
- Kitchen rules to live by.
- The language used to sell tomatoes.
- A very big oyster.
- An interview with Nigella Lawson.
- Increasing numbers of graduates are becoming farmers.
- Fruit-themed bus shelters.
- Why do kettles whistle?
- The Copenhagen restaurant which uses food past its sell-by date. (Thanks, Ester!)
- The recent crazes for kale and morogo.
- Understanding Korea through its food.
- The fish and chip shop with its own artist-in-residence.
- A cake in the shape of a unicorn.
- Fanny Cradock cooks an omelette.
- Bill Buford on Alain Ducasse.
- Literary meals.
- The fruit and nut exhibition at the Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition (1909).
- How to make pentagram pie.
- A brief history of fake blood.
- Feed the Beast: the world’s only horror cake shop.
- These are courtesy of my mum:
- Is gin the answer to your matrimonial problems?
- Middle-class food crazes.
4 Comments Post a comment
Thanks for the mention!
Yeah! Happy butter news!
Very much so.